Monday, April 18, 2011

Hunter Stuart: A Birth Story

I am normally a procrastinator but I figure I should get to writing this story before I forget the details.


It all started when we were told on Friday, April 8th, that I had low amniotic fluid and that it was continuing to drop. Due to this the doctors were concerned that if he stayed in there that we would have complications (like cord compression, etc). They scheduled us for an induction at 7:30 am on Saturday, April 9th. We got to the hospital right on time and I changed into my gown and all of that fun stuff.





After that the nurse took down all of our family history and I got a dose of Cervadil at 9:20 am. I was told that they would wait twelve hours to see how my contractions were. So, we waited. Not a lot happened in that twelve hours. They let me eat throughout the day so we watched movies, snacked, and had a couple of visitors. I started contracting around 3 lightly and they progressed throughout the night. I took a hot shower which was amazing but he was so low in the birth canal the pressure of standing up was just too much. At 9 pm I was checked and was 3 cm dilated and 80 percent effaced. They decided to wait a couple of hours to see what my body would do, but at 10 my contractions started to space out. At 11 I got a dose of Pitocin and was checked again at 3 am. I was 8 cms dilated and 100% effaced. The nurse said she was going to let the doctor know and that I should let her know if I felt any changes. The next contraction hit and I felt the urge to push so I called her back in and sure enough, I was dilated to a 10 and his head was right there. I had to lay on my sidewhile we waited for the doctor to get there. I pushed through 3 contractions and Hunter was born at 3:40 am!


2 comments:

xmommy-corex said...

Congrats on the new addition!!!

Emily said...

Congrats! I am so happy for you and love seeing and hearing about your beautiful family :)

-Emily