Thursday, March 24, 2011

Not great news

I debated about posting this on my blog but I figure I might as well. We had a perinatal (high risk) doctor appointment and found that our little guy is now in the 5th percentile for growth. This means he was officially diagnosed with IUGR (Intrauterine Growth Restriction) and will now be heavily monitored until birth. We have non stress tests done twice a week and growth ultrasounds done once per week. At this time the doctors want to continue monitoring him but if he does not continue to grow at a somewhat acceptable rate they will deliver him (probably by c-section) so he can grow. At this time his cord, the amniotic fluid, and the placenta look good, but if hes not growing right there must be a reason. He is weighing in at about 4 pounds 5 ounces right now which means he hasn't even gained a full pound in an entire month.

On a lighter note, they switched the machine to 3D/4D and we got to see his little face. Unfortunately, he sleeps like his daddy and had his arm thrown up over half of his face. From what we could see he has my super chubby cheeks and Justin's nose and mouth. OH! And he has hair...Justin did have hair til he was like two so its good to know our little guy will be born with some.

This is all very, very scary for us but I am really happy to know that we will have this extensive monitoring done and he will be delivered immediately if we find out hes not getting what he needs to survive in me. The nursery is still not done because I am having to take it really easy but its SO close. I will keep you updated!

2 comments:

Karly said...

How stressful! I'm sorry :(

If I lived there I would come over and finish his nursery for you.

chanelle said...

Awww thank you!