Saturday, August 14, 2010

Me + Massage Heights = GRR!!

I can definitely say that I am noticeably more moody lately. Obviously those are both completely normal symptoms of a pregnancy but its still tough to deal with in a way. Its just like PMS...you know you are being crazy but you cant really help it.

I had to work today and while I was there my mom texted me asking me if I wanted to go get a massage, her treat. I said ok and was totally excited. I started doing a little bit of research on maybe getting a prenatal massage membership and found that some places wont do first trimester massages on completely unfounded myths that they cause miscarriage. I checked out several sources, including the American OB/GYN Society just to make sure. Not to mention I specifically asked my doctor if I could partake in several different spa activities at all stages of pregnancy, specifically massage, and she said absolutely. I also checked the place's website and found they actually offer prenatal massage and the website said nothing about not offering first trimester massage. I was satisfied that I had done my due diligence and that was that.

When we got there and they had us fill out some questionnaires and one of the questions asked if I was pregnant. I answered truthfully and gave back the forms. When the therapist came and got us she said she couldn't give me a massage without a doctors note due to fear of lawsuit. I was absolutely pissed. First off, the idea massage causes miscarriage is a MYTH, secondly its not published anywhere on the website, and third the receptionist said nothing about it when my mom made the appointment. It seriously wasted a good hour of my day and was a huge disappointment. All of that could have been avoided with a simple "We offer only 2nd and 3rd trimester massages" or something like that on their website. Ugh. Idiots.

Needless to say, I did not get my massage. I gave them a piece of my mind in a not so nice way and left. What a letdown.

No comments: